Sunday, October 12, 2014

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

The Hubby was on his own to find a soup recipe today, as I was out helping my grandparents all day...so Chicken Wild Rice it is! I will give him the credit and let him tell you all about today's recipe:

The Wifey was away today so I went golfing with one of my friends this morning and then out to lunch. This ate up most of the day, so I had to find something easy for a late dinner. What could be easier than chicken, vegetables, and rice? So, I quick ran to the store and picked up some fresh veggies and wild rice and began prepping for dinner. Some of my best dishes happen when I don't look at what others have done and just cook. That's what happened tonight and I think it turned out great!

Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Chicken Wild Rice Soup

5 cups chicken stock
3 cups half and half
3 large carrots
1 medium onion
4 stalks celery
1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts
1 cup wild rice
4 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste


Bake the chicken until it is fully cooked, allow it to cool, shred it, and set aside. While the chicken is baking, boil 3 cups of water and a half tablespoon of salt in a medium pot. Add one cup of wild rice and cook covered for 50 minutes. When the rice is done, drain and set aside Once you've got the rice on, finely chop the onion and saute with 4 tablespoons of butter in the large pot the soup will end up in. Peel the carrots and then coarsely chop the carrots and celery. Add five cups chicken stock, carrots, and celery to the large pot and simmer until both the carrots and celery start to become soft. This can take about an hour depending on how soft you like your veggies. When the veggies are just about ready, add the chicken, wild rice, and half and half. Mix and heat the soup through and you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment